The IAIM Instructor Training Programme
By training with our highly respected organisation you will join a world wide network of Certified Infant Massage Instructors offering a supportive environment to teach a life-long parenting skill. The training programme focuses on parents/primary caregivers and their babies from birth to one year old. Adaptations for babies with additional needs, babies born prematurely and the growing child are also part of the curriculum.
The Certification Process
In order to become a fully Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI) you will have to complete the following:
- Attend a 4-day training course (details below)
- Complete within 4 months following the course:
- 14 Short Answer Questions
- 39 Multiple Choice Questions
- 6 Essay Questions
- Submit completed parent evaluation forms after teaching a 5-week course to a minimum of five families.
The 4-Day Training Course
On the training course you will cover our international core curriculum which includes:
- The IAIM sequence of infant massage strokes, drawing on influences from Indian and Swedish massage as well as incorporating principles from reflexology and yoga
- Observing the Trainer teaching a parent and baby massage class
- Experience of teaching parents and babies with your fellow students
- Learning about the history of infant massage and the IAIM
- Infant behavioural states, cues and reflexes
- Guidelines for the safe use of massage oils
- The benefits of infant massage and touch research
- Learning about bonding and attachment
- Adaptations for babies born prematurely and babies with additional needs
- Adaptations for the growing child
- Teaching, communication and group facilitation skills
- Marketing and promotion of infant massage classes
Completion of the Certification Process
Having completed all the above requirements and achieved the required standard you will:
- Receive an International Certificate as a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI)
- Be qualified to teach parents or primary caregivers, individually or in group settings, in private or community-based groups
- Be able to facilitate a programme of respectful nurturing touch and communication to help support parents to have a deeper understanding of their baby’s emotional and physical needs.
From the date of your training you will receive one year’s Membership of the IAIM UK Chapter, which is included in your training fee. As a member of the IAIM UK Chapter you will become part of an international organization of thousands of dedicated Infant Massage Instructors worldwide.