Become an Instructor
The IAIM instructor training offers you a wonderful opportunity to support parents and primary caregivers, by helping them to learn how to lovingly and respectfully communicate with their babies through massage.
The training combines theory from an international core curriculum as well as the practical experience of learning massage strokes on a doll and teaching part of a parent/baby massage class. During the training there are three sessions with parents and their babies. One session is led by the trainer for students to observe and the other two provide the students with a wonderful opportunity to experience facilitating part of a class with the support of their fellow students.
In order to qualify as a Certified Infant Massage Instructor (CIMI) students have to:
- Attend our professional four day instructor training course with an Internationally qualified IAIM trainer.
- Complete a take home open book exam within 4 months following the training.
- Submit parent evaluation forms after teaching five 60-90 minute classes to a minimum of
The IAIM training programme is open to anyone interested in sharing the benefits of nurturing touch.
Why train with the IAIM?
The IAIM curriculum is being taught in more than 70 countries and has been developed and refined for over 40 years through research, reflective practice and practical experience. This has resulted in a widely endorsed and implemented parenting programme.
The IAIM has:
- an internationally recognised curriculum currently being taught worldwide
- an international circle of highly experienced and dedicated Trainers
- been training in the UK since 1997 and has trained over 13,000 instructors
- invites parents and babies to attend the training enabling students to gain practical teaching experience
Following the training the IAIM offer continuing professional development and support through:
- A year’s Membership of the IAIM, plus continued Membership for an annual fee
- Regular Educational Study Days and Course Refresher Days
- A biennial International Conference
- Trainer led massage stroke refresher sessions
- A printed newsletter three times a year
- Access to news, research and other resources on the IAIM Members website
- Support from your peers via the IAIM Facebook page and WhatsApp group
- Support from your course Trainer
- Support from the UK Chapter Executive Board and IAIM Office
What will our training equip you to do?
Our training will equip you to teach parents/primary caregivers, either individually or in small classes, to massage their babies as well as to deliver presentations to promote infant massage. You will be able to demonstrate the massage strokes on a doll and create a relaxed environment where there is an opportunity for parents to take part in informal discussions on many baby focused topics.
You will gain the skills to facilitate parent-infant communication, create the opportunity to enhance parent/child bonding and help to provide optimum conditions for the healthy development of the infant. In this supportive environment the parents/primary caregivers will learn of the many other benefits that loving touch can bring about.
This is not a ‘hands on massage’ qualification and this course does not qualify you to train others to teach or perform infant massage. You will be required to sign an agreement during your 4-day training confirming this.